Re: IO scheduling problem in 2.3.99-pre6

From: Shane Shrybman (shrybman@sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 10:23:31 EST

Hi,

I am testing kernel 2.3.99pre6-7 + Rik's latest VM patch. This patch
is a improvement over other .99 kernels. However, I am seeing poor
performance during bonnie runs. I have put my vmstat log of a
bonnie -s 150 run at: http://zeke.yi.org/linux/2.3.99p6.7-rvr4/

This was on a Quantum EL ide disk, in a Athlon 600 box with 128MB
ram.

During the run the system became sluggish and wasn't able to keep up
my mouse movements. Top showed that kswapd was very busy and consuming
a lot of cpu - up to 90%, but usually between 30% and 60%. Also, bonnie
reported a very good block read rate(~10MB/s) but, very slow block write
rate(~2MB/s).

I hope this info is of some use, of course more info is available on
request.

shane