Re: Linux Jobs as of 2.3.99pre6-5

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 11:17:47 EST

Sergey Kubushin writes:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> > Sergey Kubushin writes:
> > > Hi, gentlemen!
> > >
> > > It looks like initrd is still broken in pre6-6 with latest devfs
> > patch
> > > (163) in yet one new obscure way...
> > >
> > > I do use the fully modularized kernel with ide, scsi and all
> > > possible filesystems (ext2 too) in modules. The only things built
> > > into the kernel are romfs and initrd which are used to mount initial
> > > ramdisk. It does boot, mounts initrd, then oopses on linuxrc fired
> > > outta initrd and panics 'coz there is no root fs... I do not know
> > > why standard linuxrc oopses, the very same configuration did boot on
> > > 2.3.49 with some patches for make initrd work.
> >
> > Please try out a non-devfs kernel and let us know if the problem
> > persists. Then, please provide Oops output (massaged with ksymoops, of
>
> I can't :(( I do have the empty /dev directory on all my machines
> populated with devfs...

Add a COPY action to /etc/devfsd.conf, boot single-user, remount root
rw and run devfsd. That will give you a populated directory with
device nodes. Try this:
REGISTER .* COPY /dev-state/$devname $devpath
CHANGE .* COPY $devpath /dev-state/$devname
CREATE .* COPY $devpath /dev-state/$devname

Or restore /dev from a backup tape ;-)

> It's not all that easy to get an oops trace either - it gets
> partially scrolled outta console and Shift-PgDn does not work 'coz
> kernel did already panic...

Serial console is your friend. Unless we can see the stack trace, we
can't really help.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au