Re: screen_info and multihead

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 13:31:12 EST

James Simmons writes:
> I have been working on a cleanup of the console code. One of the things
> I have been working on in this work is multihead. As I have been going
> threw the code I noticed this struct screen_info. Is it really needed
> anymore? From what I can tell the only platform that uses hardware to
> filling in screen_info is the arm platform. The only driver that uses it
> is vesafb. With multihead you can see it can get a bit mess. So could it
> be removed and have the hardware drivers themselves probe the hardware for
> the default state?

On ARM, we're not initialising it for a vesafb. You are aware that the
ORIG_VIDEO_LINES and friends use it, which are in turn used by vgacon and
dummycon?

On ARM, we initialise it so that dummycon has a reasonable amount of the
boot messages when the switch to fbcon occurs.

Oh, and incidentally, arch/i386/kernel/setup.c uses it as well:

struct screen_info screen_info;
        screen_info = SCREEN_INFO;
   _____
  | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |