Re: Linux Jobs as of 2.3.99pre6-5

From: bbehm@iname.com
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 13:26:26 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> Shared memory changes change the API breaking applications (eg gimp)

Gimp works fine with a recompile. So do the other SHM applications I've tried.
Some, like MpegTV, work with the new SHM API even without a recompile.

Since most applications won't fail without SHM support (they'll just be dog
slow), I don't think it's too much to ask for some applications to be
recompiled for 2.4.0. Even if they aren't recompiled/optimized for 2.4.x,
they'll still run -- compatibility isn't really an issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, there may be some apps that are completely borken with
the new API, but I havn't seen any.