Re: Linux Jobs as of 2.3.99pre6-5

From: bug1 (bug1@netconnect.com.au)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 22:29:36 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

<snip>
> Use PCI DMA 'lost interrupt' problem with some hw [which ?]

HPT366

Ive always lost interrupts on my HPT 366 controllers, both my hotrod pci
card, and the one built into my bp6 mobo. The only thing that varies is
the load required to cause it.

Currently it happens a lot more when reading rather than writting

I dont get timeouts with one drive.

If i use two channels it will loose interrupts occassionaly (irregular
time intervals), i can recover from it though, ive tested this with both
raid0 and lvm stripping.
I used to get this on my via MVP3 k6, (but havent tried it for a while
now) as well on bp6 mobo.

If i use three or four hpt 366 channels, by combinning both my plugin
hpt366 card and the one built into my mobo it will timeout or lockup
hard in a fraction of a second and i will have to reboot.

I can get around my problems by not using DMA, but i get about 4MB/s in
non DMA mode versus 20MB/s in DMA mode, so one drive in DMA mode is
faster than 4 stripped drives (lvm or raid0) in non DMA mode.

I hope this info is usefull

Glenn McGrath