Re: Linux Jobs as of 2.3.99pre6-5

From: Ulrich Drepper (drepper@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 22:49:24 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> Yes, that one is about a year old, and caused me to actually fix some
> things. I couldn't reproduce any problems with it after that, at least not
> attributable to %fs/%gs.

The simple tests are not failing anymore. I've seen this for some
time. But the thread library using the segment registers still fails.
I think I can safely say that there is no single place in the
user-level code where the segment registers are cleared except during
the thread termination. To eliminate this case I've modified the code
to not clean up and still is the segment zero at some point.

I'll do two things:

- provide a binary of the programs I have which is crashing. I'll
  probably add some debug output. I can do this fairly quickly.

- while people are hopefully looking at this I'll try to come up with
  a simplified version which does not use the thread library. Since the
  simple cases are now handled correctly this might take a bit.