Re: patch: signed char issues

From: Philip Blundell (Philip.Blundell@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 07:30:43 EST

>Unfortunately, people forget about signed-ness issues. I actually wish
>that GCC would warn more about this type of unportable code. (eg,
>detecting an assignment or test between a bare "char" type and a
>negative number).

GCC already warns about comparison between an unsigned type and a negative
constant. It also has the capability to warn about any comparison between a
signed type and an unsigned one, though I don't think this is used by default
when building the kernel because it generates a lot of noise.

There doesn't seem to be any warning for assignment of a negative value to an
unsigned variable, though I don't imagine it would be hard to add.

p.