Re: 2.3.99 kernel size?

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 11:56:17 EST

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I just finished building bzImage in 2.3.99 and I saw this:
>
> Root device is (8, 1)
> Boot sector 512 bytes.
> Setup is 2424 bytes.
> System is 804 kB

with the wonderful fix that Werner Almesberger did recently (around
2.3.52) it is perfectly legal for bzImage size to go up to around 2.5M and
2.5M surely ought to be enough for everyone..

Beware that "legal" here means "can be loaded by LILO" and not "can be
booted by dd'ing to floppy" - the latter has somewhat smaller limit (look
in tools/build.c - to learn the limit is 0xFFFF * 16 bytes.

Regards,
Tigran