Re: IDE/ATAPI

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 09:26:45 EST

On Sun, Apr 23 2000, Benno Senoner wrote:
> Andre, can you tell us please a bit more about the purpose, and expected
> benefits for IDE devices under Linux using "tagged queueing" ?

The benefits are the same as for SCSI devices that do tagged
command queueing - you can have more than one command active on
the device at the same time, which lets the drive do internal
ordering of requests (which is much more effective than what
the elevator can achieve, obviously).

> Could this be the cause of the relatively bad results on hdrbench compared to
> FreeBSD ?
> (see my previous post about hdrbench)

I don't know if FreeBSD can do TCQ on IDE, but the current elevator
in 2.3 does not give very good performance results. I'm experimenting
on improving this and results look very promising so far. Expect
more soon.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
*  Linux CD/DVD-ROM, SuSE Labs