Re: IDE drives and unmaskirq

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 11:21:59 EST

In <Pine.LNX.4.10.10004201318110.8572-100000@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca> Mark Hahn (hahn@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca) wrote:
>> which always defaults to zero. But on all the machines I can
>> get my hands on I set it to one because it makes the system
>> smoother under high disk load.

> this is a sign that your systems are either misconfigured or old,
> since that setting is only relevant to PIO modes. seriously,
> unless you have >4 year old hardware, you owe it to yourself to
> get it into a non-crippled (DMA/UDMA) mode, rather than sugar-coating
> the horrible, archaic, PIO mode...

It's not always available :-) My ZIP drive just do not work with DMA...

>> off? What system s actually have a problem with this?

> legend has it that some very old systems can't deal with
> interrupts during a rep insw/outsw. since the setting is
> irrelevant for any modern system, defaulting to safe is correct.

Unfortunatelly it's NOT legend :-(( I've seen systems (less then 4 years old
BTW) where enabled unmaskirq will corrupt filesystem badly. That's why it's
in zero state by default: it's MUCH better to "just" slow down system then
to trash filesystem on that system.