Re: IDE drives and unmaskirq

From: Mark Hahn (hahn@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 12:24:30 EST

> which always defaults to zero. But on all the machines I can
> get my hands on I set it to one because it makes the system
> smoother under high disk load.

this is a sign that your systems are either misconfigured or old,
since that setting is only relevant to PIO modes. seriously,
unless you have >4 year old hardware, you owe it to yourself to
get it into a non-crippled (DMA/UDMA) mode, rather than sugar-coating
the horrible, archaic, PIO mode...

> off? What system s actually have a problem with this?

legend has it that some very old systems can't deal with
interrupts during a rep insw/outsw. since the setting is
irrelevant for any modern system, defaulting to safe is correct.