Possible problem with network layer

From: Richard Polton (Richard.Polton@msdw.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 02:44:08 EST

Firstly, I am using 2.3.99pre3 on a 686 laptop. This week I have been
experiencing strange
problems with the networking layer, namely that I cannot ping any other
machine on the
same subnet.

The green light is on on the pcmcia network card and ping <my ip
address> works fine.
The routing table is set up as follows:

ifconfig eth0 140.14.100.76 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
140.14.100.255 up
route add -host 140.14.100.76 eth0
route add -net 140.14.100.0 eth0
route add default gw 140.14.100.1 eth0

Various permutations of the above have not been successful.

When pinging a remote machine, I see 'Destination host unreachable'
message.

Note that this used to work beautifully at my previous office, so I do
not believe
(although it is obviously possible) that the network card is at fault.
And yes, the network
I am connecting to is fine also, as I have swapped another machine onto
that patch.

So, how can I trace everything that goes through the network layer in
the kernel? I have
tried magic sysrq 9 (I noticed that TCP_DUMP is defined as 1) and I have
also defined
DEBUG, INET_REFCNT_DEBUG and NET_REFCNT_DEBUG. I cannot, however, find
any
messages. Additionally, defining DEBUG in include/linux/autoconf.h
causes the kernel build to fail.
In particular this happens in lib/inflate.c when Tracecv is expanded as
neither stderr or fprintf are
recognised. I tried redefining fprintf as printk but it seems that
printk causes link time problems
here so, for this file, I simply resorted to a local #undef DEBUG.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and, of course, I can
supply more information
if necessary.

Thanks,

Richard Polton