Re: [RFC] automount based devfs replacement

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 05:46:10 EST

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

> On 18-Apr-2000 Alexander Viro wrote:
> > provide the list of non-busy filesystems (doable
> > without tree-walking, BTW)
>
> Hi Al,
>
> Do you mean right now, or when your rewrite is in use? For autofs4 I
> need to know whether a tree of mounted filesystems is unused (as in
> umountable), ignoring any references the mount structure itself may
> cause. What's the best way of doing this? What will the best way be?

Modulo the rewrite, indeed. However, I have serious problems with autofs4
handling of that stuff.
        Look: we have /home as autofs4 and /home/foo is NFS (mounted by
autofs, that is). Now, I want to mount a CD on ~/cdrom (where $HOME==/home/foo).
No problem. Now I do cd /tmp, start something lengthy and walk away to
take some coffee. When I'm back I'm saying cd ~/cdrom, only to find out
that ~/cdrom is not mounted anymore. And autofs has no idea how to get it
(surprise, surprise).
        IMO it's a broken behaviour. I don't know whether you consider
following mountpoints during the expiry search as a feature, but in its
current form it looks rather like a bug. Scenario above is a Bad
Thing(tm). What do you actually want there?