Re: Fix for maestro in 2.3.99-preX

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 04:01:57 EST

Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Rogier> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >> #define net_device device #define net_device_stats enet_statistics
> >> #define dev_kfree_skb_irq(a) dev_kfree_skb(a) #define
> >> netif_wake_queue(dev) clear_bit(0, &dev->tbusy) #define
> >> netif_stop_queue(dev) set_bit(0, &dev->tbusy) #define
> >> netif_queue_stopped(dev) ((dev)->tbusy != 0) #define
> >> netif_running(dev) ((dev)->start != 0)
>
> Rogier> FYI: There is "compatmac.h" in 2.2.x exactly for this purpose!
> Rogier> Feel free to add stuff (like Linus just proposed) that you
> Rogier> need for a network driver!
>
> The problem with this is that the older kernels are never updated so
> if you want to stick a driver into 2.2.12 for instance, you need to
> keep the latest compat code in the driver itself.

I disagree.

As your driver needs to be patched into the kernel, you might need to
provide it with the latest "compatmac" patch too.

If your driver needs to be compiled in a separate tree, you can
provide your own copy of the latest compatmac.h too.

Actually I was keeping the "compatmac" code in my drivers until I
noticed that I was maintaining those macros in two different
places. So I moved them to a central macro file, and I'm happy about
the result.

                                Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********