Re: memory handling in pre5/pre6

From: Mark Hahn (hahn@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 11:35:53 EST

> > > I'm thinking of a shm problem,
> > I start to use networking (either NFS or Arkeia) heavily.
>
> can you try to do some of your networking stuff while not running X,
> and see if your system already start swaping ?

that's not it. the problem is that the system is much to gentle
on the page-cache. it should be scavenging, for instance, cached
local and NFS files, but it's not, and instead triggering swapping.
I believe part of this is caused by the fact that kswapd no longer
has a timeout, and now only calls shrink_mmap/etc when memory is low,
resulting in an ineffective aging clock.

regards, mark hahn.