Re: loopback blockdev deadlocks -- explained?

From: Steve Dodd (steved@loth.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 11:29:11 EST

On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 12:35:50PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> The code you mentioned simply restricts the loop device to use only
> half of the available requests. _All_ of the other requests are
> available to anyone wanting to complete an operation. Any single
> loop request can use as many other requests as it wants: if the bit
> of the queue reserved for loop requests is full, it will just end
> up using a shorter remaining queue for its own requests.
[..]

I'll happily admit to not understanding the intricacies of the request
mechanism -- particularly threading and reentrancy issues. I think I need to
go through the code again and make some notes :-/ Do you have any hunch as to
what _is_ causing the loop device deadlocks?

--
I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature.
	 - Thomas Jefferson