[RFC] automount based devfs replacement

From: Christoph Hellwig (chhellwig@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 05:44:17 EST

Hi,
I've thought a bit about some ideas to replaced devfs with a combination
of automount and many small virtual filesystems. The idea is the following:
 - a automount module (attached), that mounts the fs by the name of the subdir
   it will be mounted on, so with a /etc/auto.device that contains
   the following line:

   -------------------- snip -------------------
   * -fstype=devfs :none
   -------------------- snip -------------------

   a lookup on /device/tts will mount the 'tts' file system on /devices/tts
   (/devices should be /dev once we get union-mounts)
 - every driver has a built-in file system that has the name of the /dev subdir.
 - these file systems log every lookup/chmod/etc to a chardev (e.g. /dev/devfsd)
 - all device that must not be on this virtual file systems (/dev/console,
   (dev/devfsd, a to be implemeted /dev/root, ...) are normal nodes in /dev
   (once we get union-mounts ...).

I'am just now playing iwith such a virtual filesytem for the serial driver that is
based on devpts, but devpts seems not the best solution to me, because
 - it has it's own infrastructure (to much overhead)
 - it needs to handle multiple mounts specially
 - the device node can only be registerd after the file system has been mounted
   a least one time.

I'd like to use Linus' ramfs as base, but I've not figured out, how to create files
with pathnames relative to the mountpoint ...

Christoph

--
Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.