Re: [RFC] automount based devfs replacement

From: david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 17:29:31 EST

In article <linux.kernel.20000418130502.A1517@sb.t-online.de>,
Christoph Hellwig <chhellwig@gmx.net> wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 11:36:12AM -0700, david parsons wrote:
>> In article <linux.kernel.20000417124417.A813@sb.t-online.de>,
>> Christoph Hellwig <chhellwig@gmx.net> wrote:
>> >
>> >Hi,
>> >I've thought a bit about some ideas to replaced devfs with a combination
>> >of automount and many small virtual filesystems. The idea is the following:
>>
>> I'd say ick, because it seems like it's replacing a somewhat flawed
>> (odd and very non-traditional-Unix naming scheme, issues with
>> multiple mounts)
>
>The naming scheme is very UNIX-like (besides the ide & scsi devs), look at sysV.

      Aside from Solaris, which has a devfs gone bad, most of the commercial
      Unices I've got available have /dev that looks closer to the old Linux
      behavior than the new devfs namespace. And FreeBSD (the only of the
      other free Unices that has survived in my server room) looks, not too
      surprisingly, very close to the old namespace.

>> kernel scheme with a somewhat more fragile and
>> complicated automount arrangement.
>
>You don't have to use automount. You can mount every single fs yourself.
>But it's much simpler with autofs ...

      I've been playing around with automount (actually amd, which was
      written by people who would have trouble documenting how to pay a
      bus driver the US$1.15 to ride the #19 bus into town) and thus
      can't imagine anything more foolish than entrusting the operation
      of the system to this particular magic daemon.

      It's why I'm not using devfs when I bring a workstation up to
      2.3.99x for testing the memory detect/mangling code -- the last
      thing I want to do on my hardware is to put an automounter in to
      give me /dev. Sooner or later, I'll write a hack to devfs which
      will convert (in kernelspace, which is where it belongs) Linus's
      namespace to one that's compatable with all of the other Linux
      boxes I own.

>The problem is¸ that you can mount only the whole devfs on multiple mount point even eith the
>patch.

      If it's patched so you can only mount it once, then this ceases to
      be a problem; the chroot() jails can try to mount devfs until they
      are blue in their little electronic faces, but devfs will merely
      laugh (mount: devfs already mounted or /dev busy) at the attempts.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ peace and understanding through brute force.
                   \/