Re: FunKey patch: Programmable hot keys

From: Dylan Griffiths (dylang+kernel@thock.com)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 19:52:18 EST

        I think this is a good idea. The user space handling of unknown keycodes
is a very flexible way of handling the situation. This way, when porting to
new hardware, you could figure out what's going on :-) Also, things like
"eject" and the "check email" button on newer Compaq machines has no other
feasible way of getting support in Linux. How else do we support funky
strange HP and Compaq keyboards? :) Considering it's not adding to the
kernel (beyond a default case for unknown keycodes being sent to a userspace
daemon), it's also a good use of space. Does anyone have any objections to
this?

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me
spread!