Re: Suggested dual human/binary interface for proc/devfs

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 14:59:53 EST

Johannes Erdfelt writes:
> > OR, (C) you try to do what Richard's been doing, which is trying to
> > have it both ways. Both have the virtual filesystem, *and* try to store
> > the inode information into the layer below, so it can be backed by a
> > real filesystem, without needing userspace help.
>
> Unfortunately this isn't sufficient as well. I'd like to explain
> this to Richard, but he's been very slow about responding to my
> emails regarding devfs and Hot Swap/Plug and Play devices.

If you had an inbox with a hundred devfs messages you wanted to read
carefully/reply to (already taken out of a few hundred devfs messages
that you've dismissed, taken out of the hell of linux-kernel), plus a
pile of questions/bug reports sent directly, plus a bunch of bugs to
fix, plus a better HOWTO to write, then you'd be a bit slow in
responding too :-(

It's only this week I've managed to scrape back some time to work on
this.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au