Re: Proposal "LUID"

From: allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 07:14:45 EST

On 14 Apr, Alan Curry wrote:
+-----
| >> audited action. System daemons run with LUID 0, which is the only LUID
| >> permitted to change its LUID; if a process has a nonzero LUID, it can
| >> not change its LUID for any reason.
|
| So if named takes a dive, I login remotely and su to root and restart it,
| it's not a "system daemon" anymore? Strikes me as a useless distinction at
| best.
+--->8

It means that named would be audited as you and not as the system. But
if you're doing that, you're not running a CAPP-compliant system anyway.
:)

Systems which support CAPP generally have a daemon which can be asked by
specific users to (re)start specific daemons, to deal with this. But
anyone who's not trying to run a CAPP system would simply ignore the
whole LUID thing and get on with life. It's the people trying to do
CAPP with Linux who need this.

--
brandon s. allbery	   os/2,linux,solaris,perl	allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	   kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt	  allbery@ece.cmu.edu