Re: Suggested dual human/binary interface for proc/devfs

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 23:32:43 EST

Horst von Brand writes:
> Richard Gooch <rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca> said:

>> - tar/untar (it may not appeal to you, and it doesn't appeal
>> to me that much either, but it will do the job)
>
> It is horrible, and breaks in any case where the machine
> isn't shut down cleanly. No dice.
>> - configure devfsd to automatically save/restore (possible
>> *right now*, although requires configuring, I could
>> provide a canned solution to make it easier)
>
> How would this work over crashes?

It works the same way as an ext2-based /dev does. Just try hitting
the reset button after chmod or chown. You can not be at all sure
if ext2 will have your changes on disk.

This means devfs faithfully emulates the data loss ext2 provides.
I suggest that you stop the unclean shutdowns, even w/o devfs.