Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Mark Zealey (kernel@itsolve.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 15:52:17 EST

I personaly hate all of these tty0, tty1..... in /dev. My question is why
can't we have only those devices that are actually there, showing? For
ecample if there are (only) 2 IDE hard drives on channel 0, a master and
slave, instead of:
hda
hdb
hdc
hdd
and
sda
sdb
sdc
why can't there just be:
hda
hdb
? This seems very wierd to me, as most people don't have 16 IDE's, 16
SCSI's, 16 partitions on each. A simple solution would be to have 2 dirs,
/dev/in_use and /dev/not_in_use, or even to hide the devices not in use.

Cheers,

Mark Zealey
mark@itsolve.co.uk