Re: Multiport Ethernet Cards(Plenty of em...)

From: Richard June (rjune@ims1.imagestream-is.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 15:31:15 EST

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Dennis wrote:

> At 01:50 PM 4/14/00 -0500, Richard June wrote:
> >Which Pentium?

> >> almost? It can do 2 T3s easily as we have customers doing it.
> >

> The "Pentium" has nothing to do with it (well not much) A 400Mhz Celeron
> can route 180Mb/s or so, which is just about right. Most people use more
> out of paranoia, but the systems are running at much less than 50%
> utilization.
>
> The only reason it cant do 3 T3s (seemingly) is the bus; the cpu is not the
> bottleneck (unless your board driver is, or the board cant do sustained
> single cycle transfers). With a true dual bus PCI system you can do 4 T3s
> with a pentium III 600, I believe.
Well, we agree that the bus makes more difference than the processor,
here screwing around I found that clocking a P233MMX funky can result in
quite a performance boost. I was running it @ 215Mhz and routed 1 full
DS3(both ways) and on the second line 100% oneway and 70-80% the other. I
would bet that if you had a dual bus system you would need less than a PII
600 to route 4 T3s, but I've never tried it.