Re: NexGen detection

From: Thomas S. Iversen (zensonic@diku.dk)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 10:02:26 EST

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> If you want to write the code then go for it.

I'll give it a try.

> In theory you can check cpuid
> availability by toggling a bit in eflags, we do that already

Well, NexGen is broken by design here :/

> Is there another way to detect nexgen and then try cpuid ?

Not that I know off. I would go for something like

* test for 386
* if caught as 386 goto nexgen_or_386?
* test for 486 as usal

nexgen_or_386
   * install Illegal instruction handler
   * try cpuid (handler gets us out of the nasty case)
   * determine which cpu.
   * remove handler

Yours THomas

Thomas S. Iversen
zensonic@diku.dk
Dept. of computer science - copenhagen, denmark.