Re: Multiport Ethernet Cards(Plenty of em...)

From: Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 10:30:44 EST

Matti Aarnio wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 02:44:17AM -0400, kiran keshava wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I heard a few days back that someone is Installing Many many NICs on a
> > linux machine. I am also working on benchmarking a Linux Box as a router
> > and am planing on installing six 4-port 10/100Mbps Ethernet cards (total
> > 24 ports) on it. I was wondering which card would be a good pick,
> > presently I'm thinkin of using Matrox NS-FNIC/4 multiport 10/100Mbps
> > ethernet cards. This card is rather new and seems to have a problem with
> > the drivers. Is there any other 4-port ethernet card that anyone else has
> > used and would recommend for usage at 100Mbps ???
>
> Propably better approach is to use an external switch with VLAN
> trunk capability (of IEEE 802.1q kind), and VLAN trunk driver
> at Linux. ( This in general sense, benchmarking is other story
> with 'performance at any cost' kind of thinking.. )

There have been people who have done this with my 802.1Q patch
and a giga-bit NIC. Might be cheaper than getting all those
4-ports..they seem to run about $600 a piece...

The vlan patch can be found at: http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear/vlan.html

Ben

--
Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)  http://www.candelatech.com
Author of ScryMUD:  scry.wanfear.com 4444        (Released under GPL)