Re: Suggested dual human/binary interface for proc/devfs

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 16:33:58 EST

Linus Torvalds writes:
> On 13 Apr 2000, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> >
> > To make devfs really useful the permissions need to be set on a higher
> > level, algorithmically and dynamically. That is, a user space device
> > manager where you can specify _general_ rules like "members of the
> > backup filegroup shall have read access to all storage devices".
>

> Exactly. This is the kind of thing that makes devfs worth it.

A lot of this is possible now with devfsd. And all the basic
mechanisms (i.e. in devfs and the protocol) should be there.

> Together with some way of specifying these things for the whole
> network (I wasn't kidding when I mentioned NIS) it actually gives
> system administrators something new. And it makes for more than just
> a regular /dev on a regular filesystem.

Yes, the NIS idea sounds good. I'll look at adding that to devfsd.

> Imagine devfs together with network block devices - you could quite
> transparently handle local/non-local disks etc, without the user even
> knowing. And with the sysadmin being able to change what /dev/hda is
> without having to even log onto the machine in question..
>
> [ Yes, that example probably sucks. Don't even bother showing how
> stupid it is. I'm more trying to get the mindset here. ]

So you're thinking of implementing some kind of network-wide devices?

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca