Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Peter Samuelson (peter@cadcamlab.org)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 11:40:15 EST

[Horst von Brand]
> In the case above I'm using extant mechanism (kmod has to stay for
> the later one to work).

Actually devfsd doesn't need kmod.
Or were you saying you need kmod for some other purpose?

> devfsd, working on a on-disk device tree does solve the problems
> rather nicely IMHO. devfs is a horrible kludge, and seeing Linus
> include that in his tree makes me seriously doubt his taste this one
> time. And the devfsd idea is Linus's, AFAIKT.

I agree with some of that. I've been a long-time fan of devfs, but I
also see the point that a lot of the functionality could be
accomplished by the devfsd protocol on bare ext2. At one point in time
I actually had "hpa-compliant devfsd" on my todo list ... you know, the
list whose ->pop() callback is unimplemented....

So do it. Pull devfsd out of fs/devfs/base.c and into
drivers/devfsd.c, and also create a drivers/devfs_stub.c that
implements enough infrastructure for devfsd to work. I don't have the
time to do this and I strongly suspect I might be lacking in the
expertise as well (I talk a lot bigger than I code).

Peter