cdrom seek error .. timeout

From: Joe (josepha48@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 17:13:45 EST

I am not sure if my cdrom is going bad or if there is a hardware
conflict or if this is a Linux kernel related issue.

My system consists of:
1 PCI ethernet card using the dec tulip driver
1 floppy 1.44 Meg
1 WD hd 6 Gig (hdb) Linux RH 6.1 Kernel 2.2.14
1 Seagate 2.1 Gig (hda) NT 4.0 SP1
1 IDE/ATAPI cdrom drive
1 ncr53c8xx scsi card (compiled as module for scanner)
1 SB AWE 64 Sound Card
128 Meg of RAM
2 233Mhz MMX cpu's on a tyan tomcat MB

and now
1 HP 9010i SCSI CD-RW drive

(I think I need a bigger box;-))

This weekend I added the SCSI cd-rw to my existing system. Now
my IDE atapi cdrom does not work. At first I thought that there
was a conflict between the cd-rw and the IDE/ATAPI cdrom so I
disconnected the cd-rw.

When I booted into NT I was able to use the IDE / ATAPI cdrom as
long as the SCSI cdrom was not connected.
When I booted into Linux I asm not able to use the IDE / ATAPI
cdrom weather or not the SCSI cdrom is connected.

I think that there is may be a hardware conflict, but don't
understand why a SCSI drive and ide drive would conflict with
each other? (This seems to be the case with NT)

I also do not understand why a IDE drive that is about 1 - 2
years old would just stop working under Linux.

If you need the actual error messages I can send clips from my
logs. Or anyother information.

If you think my cdrom is going bad or gone can anyone recommend
a 32x or faster inexpensive cdrom?

Joe