Re: CONFIG_{INPUT_,}MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_[XY] in 2.3.99-pre5

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 11:15:37 EST

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 05:11:40PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> > As soon as applications that use mouse will be able to talk to the
> > event interface implemented by evdev.c, mousedev can go as can these
> > two options.
>
> GPM is done. Once X is done, can we ditch it, or are there other
> applications to wait for?

SVGALib probably and that should be it all.

> An Xinput module ought not to be more than a few hours work.

Well, should it support both mice and tablets, and preferably other
devices using the event interface, it'll be a little more than just a
few hours.

> Can you give
> me the GPM patch as an example, and I'll stick it on my TODO list - I have
> no such hardware though - I'm not sure quite why it was enabled in my
> kernel config in the first place.

Sure, it's attached. However, it works for mice only, it doesn't fully
replace mousedev.c functionality - mousedev is able to take input from
digitizers as well.

Btw, should you be interested in testing it with non-USB hardware, no
problem, I have patches that send input from other devices (PS/2 mice,
keyboards, and more) through the same interface. (see
http://www.suse.cz/development/input)

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs