Re: Asynch I/O overloaded 2.2.15/2.3.99

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 11:15:04 EST

On Tue, Apr 11 2000, Dimitris Michailidis wrote:
> case). The real bottleneck under disk I/O load is the single request array,
> IMO.

It tends to be, especially for more than one active device. I have
experimented with per-queue request tables here, but haven't yet
done any profiling to see what improvements it gets us. The goal
was also to limit contention on the io_request_lock, but that lock
is being used so incestuously throughout the I/O layer that it is
non trivial to fix.

I'll return with numbers when I have something worthwhile.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
*  Linux CD/DVD-ROM, SuSE Labs