Re: loopback blockdev deadlocks (was Re: PROBLEM: ls gets stuck in D state on 2.3.99pre4-5)

From: Thomas Molina (tmolina@home.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 15:46:16 EST

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Steve Dodd wrote:

> [I've cc'd sct@redhat.com in the hope that he might know the solution to this
> one]

> Yes, same here. I've tried to figure it out by inspection, and not come up
> with anything, so can we try to reduce the variables? Which kernel version
> did people first see this in, and what block device is ultimately underlying
> the loopback backing store? I'm using an ide disk, with dma enabled.

I first noticed this in 2.3.99pre4-5, but that doesn't mean it didn't
happen before then. The last version I had occasion to loop-mount an
iso image was 2.3.47. I don't get a chance to test every function with
every development kernel (they come out too durn fast).

The underlying block device in my case is also an ide disk with dma
enabled. However, I haven't done a trace to see where it gets stuck.
Do I need to?