Re: PCMCIA init failure on 2.3.99

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 13:23:21 EST

David Hinds wrote:

> > The first attempt to access the card ("cardctl ident") reports the
> > following errors:
>
> My first guess is that the cardmgr daemon is not running.

if you try unloading (insert 9 out of 10 card types) you get problems. at
the best you get a non critical oops. following that, cardmgr is unable to
read dev info on any of the sockets. if you kill cardmgr, it will refuse to
load again citing inability to read dev info. and / is un-unmountable now.

basically, pcmcia in current dev kernels is AFU. the ray_cs module in your
pkg is much more stable than the kernel version. your version only causes
cardmgr to oops once. the kernel version puts on a fireworks display. the
ne2k type cards seem to be the only one of my collection that i can insert
and eject all day long and it works (2.3.99-pre4-5). you can forget about
tulip. flat out broke. both kernel version and your version insert ok and
appear to look fine, but packets simply don't go anywhere, i think it's
probably an irq delivery issue.

i have three different tulip type cards, 16bit and 32bit and none of them
work.

oh yes. the ne2k card works -only- on one particular hub. i have yet to
find any other hub in southern california that it works with. the card gets
link lite but the hub doesn't. it's a linksys 10/100 and 56k modem. (16bit)

since my laptop is crucial to my daily operation, the ne2k and ray_cs card
are like having a two foot straw to breath from in a torrent of mud.

=)

-d