Re: FW: press release - new network driver architecture

From: Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 15:14:00 EST

erc@pobox.com (Ed Carp) wrote on 10.04.00 in <200004101700.MAA22835@khijol.org>:

> Chip Salzenberg (chip@valinux.com) writes:
>
> > According to Anton Ivanov:
> > > I think that distributing linux with no compilers, no kernel
> > > config and incomplete includes should not be allowed by the licence.
> >
> > 'Incomplete includes' are covered by the GPL, in that anyone who wants
> > full includes for a binary compiler must be able to get them.
> >
> > I think the kernel should support a /proc/config.gz pseudofile to make
> > the running config available. I already depend on just such a patch.
> >
> > As for the compiler, well, that's what binary dists like Debian are for.
>
> And if people don't want to line the pockets of the folks who produce
> distributions, there's always CheapBytes ;)

You do know, I hope, that this makes absolutely no difference to anyone
within Debian, being that all of those are unpaid volunteers - which is
why you'll find a link to CheapBytes (and lots of others) on the Debian
web pages.

In that, Debian is very different from most other distributions. No lining
of pockets whatsoever.

MfG Kai