Re: NFS statd missing in Red Hat 6.1

From: Peter Klosky (Peter.Klosky@trw.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 12:06:59 EST

Stephen,

Thanks for pointing out the "nfslock" exists in the 6.1 release as a configuration item, and that the NFS locking is present. The /etc/rc rig does serve to start statd, though there is confusion as to the location of statd.

The source of the confusion is the misinformation presented in the "statd" man page. It claims statd is in /usr/sbin, when it is really in /sbin. Is there any way to submit a documentation bug and have this corrected?

Starting statd a.k.a. nfslock has had some limited benefit. The HP-UX box no longer logs a complaint every fifteen seconds about the lack of a statd on the Linux box. However, our HP-UX compiler application, which previously hung when used on an NFS partition from Linux, now gives an error message associated with opening the source file. My current plan is to write a small C program that uses file locks and see if that works when used on the Linux NFS partition. Our compiler works fine on local HP-UX partitions, but we do not have the source code and development system for the compiler, so it is difficult for me to guess just what features of the Linux NFS system it exercises.

Again, I appreciate your help and plan to let you know how my testing goes.

Peter