Re: BitKeeper/DCMS

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro (shap@eros-os.org)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 10:38:00 EST

*** This is my last post to linux-kernel on the topic of DCMS. All further
discussion on DCMS should go to the dcms-dev list at eros-os.org.

> Can I just ask everyone, please let's not have another BK licensing
> discussion...

I want to echo this sentiment. There is NO benefit to be had from a
BitKeeper licensing discussion on EITHER list. Larry has chosen a license he
is comfortable with. So have I (GPL). We have different motivations for our
choices.

In due course, the market (you) will decide what license is acceptable.
Arguing about licenses before the software exists is silly. Hell, you may
not even LIKE the software.

Please don't waste everybody's time and bandwidth. Any time we spend on
licensing debates is time when we could be getting something *useful* done.

Jonathan S. Shapiro