Re: BitKeeper

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro (shap@eros-os.org)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 10:14:04 EST

My impression on BitKeeper is that there are three problems:

1. It appears to be in no danger of being useable soon. I've been waiting a
long time.
2. It's not open source.
3. It requires that all changes be published (to BitKeeper) in order to use
it without charge. Even in open source projects, there are good reasons not
to distribute things until they are ready. If nothing else, you don't want
to release something until it's content has been checked to make sure that
you actually have the right to release it.

All that being said, if the result of the dcms-dev discussion is that Larry
finishes BitKeeper and gets on the open-source bandwagon for real I'ld be
delighted to use what he has. He's a smart guy.

shap