Crash & corrupted FS

From: Jim Bauer (jfbauer@home.com)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 19:45:20 EST

I have a Mandrake 7.0 system with the original kernel (2.2.14 + ???).
It has an Athlon CPU and a IDE disk (Maxtor 92720U8). I had just
started up the seti@home program and it was running for less than
5 minutes with the system rebooted. Nothing else was running. I was
logged in remotely at the time so I wasn't able to see anything on the
console.

The reboot wasn't entirely successfull. I later noticed the tail end
of an oops followed by:

        code 89 02 85 c0 74 03 89 50 04 b8 01 00 00 00 eb 03 90 31 c0 c7
        Aiee, Killing interrupt handler
        Kernel panic: attempting to kill the idle task
        In interrupt handler - not syncing

I rebooted. During the fsck I got a bunch of errors like

Among the files listed were old files in /tmp and a few files in
/dev (i.e. /dev/printer /dev/gmpctl).

I later noticed being logged after the reboot, error about "access beyond
end of device". Wasn't that problem fixed a while ago?

Shortly after that everything seemed to die and I could not log back in.
It looked like the login program kept failing.

I rebooted. The reboot failed right after init started. init complained
that all the programs were re-spawning too fast.

I rebooted off of the CD/floppy and tried to repair the filesystems.
I think the non-root ones were ok, but root was a mess. It complained
about block number being too large and that the FS had large files without
the large files flag set in the super block. I through caution to the
wind and told fsck to try and fix everything.

fsck was happy I guess. However, the kernel could never find init after
that. I even tried a few choices for "init=", not no luck.

I reinstalled from the CD. I went to re-create the original problem
with runing seti@home. After a few minutes, some message (without a newline)
kept scrolling across the screen. I was unable to read it. The system
then rebooted and had similar FS problems ("Setting filetype for ...").

Any suggestions? There is nothing important on that system right now,
so I am willing to do any needed testing.

Jim Bauer, jfbauer@home.com