Swap vnode's [was overcommit thread]

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 21:41:56 EST

I've watched this go on (and on and on) and I don't remember anyone
thinking of this easy solution: just use free disk space in any
mounted file system as swap over flow. So if you run out, create
/lost+found/swap-overflow, do a mkswap on it, and start allocating
swap pages out of there. What's the problem with that?

Sure it isn't "secure" because all your file systems can be full, but that's
unlikely, use the last X% reserved for root. For the anal among us, you can
add a "reserved swap space" to the file system and make that be big enough.
Disk is cheap.

--
---
Larry McVoy            	   lm@bitmover.com           http://www.bitmover.com/lm