Re: Warning, user cutting in: Kernel 2.2.14, dirty buffers, stalls in performance ...

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 18:58:06 EST

Tim Walberg wrote:

> >> if the second IDE is not in use its quite reasonable
> >>

> Actually, I'm a little more curious about the number of interrupts
> seen by eth0 (see my earlier reply, also)... My machine
> isn't **that** busy...

A good rule ruled to be "avoid IRQ 9 like the plague". Whatever the system
configuration said there was still an excellent chance the video card (even a
PCI one) was hitting the IRQ 9 line. I think this is generally OK for cards
from the last couple of years.

Alas, a similar problem still exists with IRQ15 and the second IDE controller
on many motherboards. If you disable the second IDE controller you often
still find that IRQ15 isn't usable with any reliability. Try another IRQ and
see what happens.

Steve