Another tunable parameter? -- Re: Kernel 2.2.14, dirty buffers, stalls in interactivity of system/NFS-clients ...

From: Bryan -TheBS- Smith (thebs@theseus.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 13:57:50 EST

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> Perhaps we need another tunable parameter (max fs cache) or something
> like that?

Now that I found the doc I was looking for (thanx everyone -- again,
JUST SHOOT ME because I looked there and missed it before!), how
would this "max fs cache" parameter differ from what is or has been
reserved for in the docs:

> buffermem:
>
> The three values in this file correspond to the values in
> the struct buffer_mem. It controls how much memory should
> be used for buffer memory. The percentage is calculated
> as a percentage of total system memory.
>
> The values are:
> min_percent -- this is the minimum percentage of memory
> that should be spent on buffer memory
> borrow_percent -- UNUSED
> max_percent -- UNUSED

Isn't that what "max_percent" is [reserved] for?

Again, newbie action here so SMACK ME (hard) if I'm missing the
point. I'm no VM expert (sad since I had an OS course in college
based on Tannebaum's book). ;->>>

-- TheBS

P.S. Thanx for everyone's help. I have something to work with
now, and a few other things to try when I can take the system down.

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs@theseus.com,b.j.smith@ieee.org