Oops in 2.2.15 with NWFS using the Linux Buffer Cache SMP

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 05:16:50 EST

I am seeing an oops and message indicating that the VFS buffer free
lists are getting corrupted under 2.2.15 when I use NWFS with multiple
SMP threads with the Linux Buffer Cache. The NWFS LRU works just fine,
however.

If I put a big lock over all accesses and make all the interactions with
the buffer cache synchronous, the problem goes away.

Is it required that I hold the kernel lock with lock_kernel() over the
Linux Buffer Cache when doing I/O to it in 2.2.15?

Jeff