Re: Answer (Re: Cylinder limits jumper for drives over 32GB)

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 20:52:38 EST

    From andre@linux-ide.org Tue Mar 28 02:19:02 2000

    Yes, goes in and sets/truncates the total drive capactity at the
    32GB limit, and the NVRAM is set with VV == 0 to hold the settings
    regardless of power cycle or whatever.

You mean VV == 1.

Well, then all is precisely as conjectured, and we can easily
add some of the stuff I gave you yesterday.

[You worry, but I think you misread the ATA-5 standard.
This JUMPON.EXE has set a non-volatile maximum.
We can at each Linux reboot use a volatile SET MAX to turn
this 32 GB into 40 GB. With every power cycle the max becomes
32 GB again. So, all works as desired.]

[The specs say: "If bit 0 is cleared to zero, the device shall
revert to the most recent non-volatile maximum address value
setting over power-up or hardware reset."
My experience was that a reboot did not suffice - a power cycle
was required. Maybe ide0 differs in this respect from ide2.]

[Now that both 2.2.15 and 2.4 are supposed to be stable
we cannot add strange, risky code. Moreover, the goal is
to make the kernel geometry-free. No doubt the right approach
is to allow userspace to set total disk capacity by ioctl,
and let people with an old Award BIOS and a 34+ GB boot disk
use my setmax utility, which no doubt should be folded into hdparm.]

Andries