Re: Answer (Re: Cylinder limits jumper for drives over 32GB)

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 03:11:30 EST

    From: Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org>

    You are asking Linux and ME!! to accept responsiblity for the contents of
    your harddrive by issuing a "READ_MAX_ADDRESS" then perform a
    "SET_MAX_ADDRESS" command to grant you access to the remaining 8GB.

    First point, if I do set the "protected memory area" to retain the drive
    size your system will not boot again until you run the OEM application
    again!

Andre - didnt you read my mail?
The idea is to use a volatile SET_MAX_ADDRESS.

    From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@transmeta.com>

    However, if plugging in manual values in the BIOS works then that's
    probably the recommended way, unless there really is an easy way to work
    around.

No, it does not help to take the disk out of the BIOS or give
any fake values by hand. Already during IDE detection the BIOS hangs.

I sent David Elliot (and Andre) the code to play with SET_MAX_ADDRESS.
So presently we wait for the reports.

Andries