Re: Cylinder limits jumper for drives over 32GB

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 22:39:02 EST

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Guest section DW wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 12:24:09AM +0100, Daniel J Blueman wrote:

> There are proposals for the next ATA standard that will handle
> larger than 137 GB disks. There are proposals that forbid such
> drives to understand CHS.
>
> Since hdparm is not fdisk, LILO or the kernel, just disregard.
> There is no problem, except that it would be better if hdparm
> did not print these things at all.

OKAY, remove "hdparm" from the equation........

FYI stock "hdparm" does not report geometry........only the test version
that are based upon patchs WRT the stock source tree. Mark does not have
any plans to deploy "hdparm" with the changes that I make.

The real problem is going to be "VMWARE"!!!! AGAIN......

You know the past history that you and I have with them.
If the kernel does not report back the geometry values being used;
regardless if ATA-6/7 specify access, they will scream holy terror
as will all of their customers..........

The second real issue is going to be the Distributions, and I do not want
to deal with any of them on this issue. I promise you that this will come
back and haunt us if we do not address it before 2.4 is final.

For my sanity on the issue, give in and let be true that the kernel can
continue to report the geometry used by the kernel........

I was useing a special case of "hdparm" to verify that I got the code
correct.

I do not care if hdio_getgeo or hdio_getgeo_big exist, but the real world
of enduser products that do direct/rawio to block devices ad death
dependent.........

I will employ the interface; regardless, because it is going to bite linux
in the ass if I don't. The point of addressing the issue in public is to
get feedback on the best way and to insure that user-space utilities can
access and or conform the additions.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy