Re: Cylinder limits jumper for drives over 32GB

From: Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 21:39:49 EST

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 12:24:09AM +0100, Daniel J Blueman wrote:

> It would be absolutely magic if all the cylinder, head and sector geometry
> stuff could be ultimately removed all together.

This is almost true already. The number of cylinders is meaningless
and not used anywhere anyway. The number of sectors per track is 63.
The number of heads is 16.
So, there is no variable anymore and geometry is dead.

There are proposals for the next ATA standard that will handle
larger than 137 GB disks. There are proposals that forbid such
drives to understand CHS.

> I see problems in hdparm
> reporting ridiculous disk geometry on my 20GB disk.

Since hdparm is not fdisk, LILO or the kernel, just disregard.
There is no problem, except that it would be better if hdparm
did not print these things at all.