Re: Keyboard rate question..

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 07:28:33 EST

Hi, Mike.

"Mike A. Harris" wrote:

> Perhaps your switch is
> electronic?

I'd say that's the case. It's _possible_ that Riley's k/b has a 1000 uF
electro in there which is holding its brains across the switchover.

> Keep in mind that I'm not asking for a general kernel feature
> here, I'm asking how to do it just so I can hack my own personal
> kernel. I don't want to put it in the mainstream kernel, just to
> fulfill a personal nit. As such I don't care how hacky or bloaty
> the solution is.

Russell King says he has a patch which does autorepeat in s/w. This is
most definitely the best way. I did this in an OS many years ago - took
one look at the XT keyboard specs and said "nope".

It's very easy to do. Just a little state machine which squirts out the
most recent 'make' code and stops doing that when it sees a 'break'. It
also gives you infinite control over the autorepeat speed, although
topping out at HZ seems reasonable.

I'd suggest that you grab that patch from Russell and run with it.

--
-akpm-