Re: Keyboard rate question..

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 19:53:39 EST

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Riley Williams wrote:

> > On systems where one keyboard is shared between two or more
> > computers, when you switch the mechanical switch from one
> > machine to the next, the keyboard repeat rate gets reset to
> > slowness.
>
>Are you sure about this?

Yes. I hold down a key, it repeats 30/s, then switch, switch
back, and it is 10cps or less.. Hard to mess up really..

>I have just this setup, switching mouse, keyboard and monitor by
>turning a single mechanical switch, and one of the machines
>switched between is running Win95. I've never seen any slowdown
>of the repeat rate following switching.

Different setup or hardware perhaps. I've used 4 different
hardware switch setups, with over 30 keyboards and every single
one resets the keyboard to the power on state of slowness in
every single OS including Linux, NT, 95/98. So you must be using
a different setup if it doesn't for you. Perhaps your switch is
electronic?

> > I'd like the keyboard to maintain my repeat rate across
> > this if possible. I'd like it to be seamless - so no user
> > needs to do anything.
>
>Seamless for that particular machine, or for all machines?

I don't really care too much about a solution that attempts to
fix the problem on every machine unless it is simple and
fast. As long as my main machine works fine, then I'm
happy.

>Personally, if I switch between different computers running
>different operating systems, I tend to expect them to do things
>slightly differently.

Regardless of what OS is being used, the switching of the
keyboard via mechanical switch is analogous to unplugging the
keyboard and plugging it into another machine. The keyboard is
powered down and resumes with its default slow repeat
rate. Wether or not this occurs on all keyboards doesn't matter
much to me.. It does on all keyboards I have here including PS/2
and AT style however and it is annoying. I've been fixing it by
running kbdrate -r 30 from cron every minute, but that is a hack
at best and still annoying. I'd like the kernel to take care of
it.

Keep in mind that I'm not asking for a general kernel feature
here, I'm asking how to do it just so I can hack my own personal
kernel. I don't want to put it in the mainstream kernel, just to
fulfill a personal nit. As such I don't care how hacky or bloaty
the solution is.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

I've overclocked my keyboard interface. It's quite messy dipping my hands into the mineral oil, but *MAN* is my keyboard ever fast now! - Anonymous Coward