Re: Cylinder limits jumper for drives over 32GB

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 01:15:41 EST

Andries,

I know that I promised to stay out of geo-issues, and I have......

But will you at least acknowledge that there is a need to change what the
kernel reports as far as the geometry request returns. This is not
geometry mucking, but changing to allows the kernel to return the full
24-bit limit.

unsigned short, byte, byte is the 32GB limit
unsigned int, byte, byte is the 137GB limit

As 34.2, 37.2, 40 GB drives are becoming the standard, I must stress the
need to update the kernel/utilities combo to allow the larger reporting.
I have the 2.3.99-pre3 kernel (less scsi, just found the issue) updated.

I need you help in recoding fdisk to allow for checking for
HDIO_GETGEO_BIG and HDIO_GETGEO. Obviously "HDIO_GETGEO_BIG" is a
transition call until the size of hd_geometry is adjusted to allow for the
larger cylinder sizes.

True that LBA translated 33GB (and larger) drives are covered under the
current "HDIO_GETGEO" calls, but............

All offboard ADDON PCI-IDE cards default to CHS........

Trust me on this one that there will be a HUGE rush of NEW "PCI-IDE" cards
to handle some of the latests published drive standards. I do not what
Linux to be caught in a surprize in the next few months with these hit the
market place.........

Trust me as an ata industry insider that this is going to happen.........
Especially since I am pushing the venders for more ADDON card solutions so
that current systems do not go out of dated from sunset2sunrise on any
given day!

Classic cases are my SMP 430HX and SMP 440FX, both are PIIX3 but have
addon cards to support ATA-33/66.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy