Re: Cylinder limits jumper for drives over 32GB

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 05:33:05 EST

    From: Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org>

    Andries,

    I know that I promised to stay out of geo-issues, and I have......

    But will you at least acknowledge that there is a need to change
    what the kernel reports as far as the geometry request returns.
    This is not geometry mucking, but changing to allows the kernel
    to return the full 24-bit limit.

    As 34.2, 37.2, 40 GB drives are becoming the standard, I must stress
    the need to update the kernel/utilities combo to allow the larger
    reporting. I have the 2.3.99-pre3 kernel (less scsi, just found
    the issue) updated.

    I need you help in recoding fdisk to allow for checking for
    HDIO_GETGEO_BIG and HDIO_GETGEO. Obviously "HDIO_GETGEO_BIG" is a
    transition call until the size of hd_geometry is adjusted to allow
    for the larger cylinder sizes.

It is superfluous.
Already for some time cfdisk has not used HDIO_GETGEO to find
the number of cylinders. The latest fdisk does not use it either.
So, there is no reason to introduce HDIO_GETGEO_BIG.

[These days the kernel finds the number of cylinders by
dividing total capacity by (heads*sectorspertrack).
User space utilities can also do this division, and slowly
all get updated to actually do this.]

[We do not want to add more geometry stuff to the kernel.
We want to get rid of everything.]

[Unfortunately, if I am right in my guess that these jumpered
large disks require READ NATIVE MAX ADDRESS, that will
introduce new code, and new problems - there may be a
password on this SET MAX ADDRESS stuff.]

Andries